|The Pacific Current ||January 14, 2013|
We just received confirmation that Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie and Captain Meredith Austin, the U.S. Coast Guard 14th District's Chief of Staff, will both join our roster of outstanding speakers for our APP Winter Conference this week!
As we celebrate APP's 100th anniversary, scroll down for a photo from the APP Time Capsule!
And check out the latest news below about our newest member (Port of Nanaimo, BC Canada) and other exciting Pacific Port news!
WINTER CONFERENCE AGENDA WILL BE PACKED WITH AMAZING SPEAKERS
|APP Winter Conference
Thursday & Friday, January 17-18, 2013Marriott Ihilani Resort, Oahu, Hawaii Click here to register!
An incredible line-up of port industry and issue experts will speak at this week's Winter Conference in Hawaii:
- Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie
- Weston Solutions Engineer Mark Ambler
- ActionPointe Managing Principal Kirk Anderson
- U.S. Coast Guard 14th District's Chief of Staff Captain Meredith Austin
- Economist & Council on Revenues Chair Dr. Paul Brewbaker
- FCS Senior Project Manager Todd Chase
- Xanatos Marine Sales Manager Kris English & Agent Captain Manny Aschemeyer
- Port of Stockton General Counsel Steve Herum
- Terex Port Solutions Manager for North America Bob Histon
- CARDO TEC Infrastructure Management Practice Leader Jim Hunt
- Hugh Wood Managing Director Mike Johnson
- Port of Morrow Commissioners Marvin Padberg and Don Russell
- EA Engineering Program Manager Richard Price
- Schrader Co. Sales Partner Tom Spear
- Moffatt & Nichol Engineer Dr. Dilip Trivedi
- NW/Canada Cruise Assn. President Greg Wirtz
In addition to timely
port industry issues, outstanding speakers, plentiful networking time,
and a beautiful setting also await you at APP's Winter Conference.
Special thanks to our generous
Winter Conference Sponsors:
- Port of Long Beach, California USA
- Matson Navigation
- Port of Longview, Washington USA
- Horizon Lines
- Port of Hueneme, California USA
- Port of St. Helens, Oregon USA
- Taiwan Int'l Ports Corporation, ROC
- ALX Technology
- Pohnpei Port Authority, FSM
Click here to register for this week's APP Winter Conference!
NEW APP MEMBER: NANAIMO PORT AUTHORITY
We welcome the Nanaimo Port Authority, British Columbia, Canada as our newest APP member!
The Port, created
in 1961, is a Federal agency whose mandate is to administer,
control, manage, and protect navigation and safety of the Nanaimo
Harbour. The Port strives to be competitive and continue its role
as a catalyst for improvement of the Nanaimo waterfront, without
subsidy from any level of government.
Port facilities include their new Cruise Ship Facility (click here to watch a short video), deep sea terminals at Nanaimo
Assembly Wharf, Duke Point Terminal, Commercial Inlet Basin and Marina,
W.E. Mills Landing & Marina for larger vessels, Pioneer
Waterfront Plaza Shops and Parking, Seaplane Terminal, Walking/Fishing
Pier, Harbourside Walkway, and the administration of federal water
leases in the Port boundaries.
Nanaimo Port Authority is governed by a seven-member Board of Directors: Bob Bennie (Chair), Mike Hunter (Vice-Chair), Rich Johnston, Jeet Manhas, Richard Ringma, Clem Trombley, and Merv Unger.
Their President & CEO is Bernie Dumas and their Vice President is Ian Marr.
Welcome back to APP, Nanaimo Port Authority!
NEWPORT ADVANCES INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL
The Port of Newport, Oregon USA is making big progress developing its new International Terminal Project.
for the new moorage dolphin has been driven, pull tested, and found to
meet design capacities. Ro-ro dock modifications are
underway. Formwork and reinforcing steel has begun for
the retaining wall. The Oregon Department of Environmental
Quality has completed their review. The Division of State
Lands' public comment period ended and those comments were
addressed. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers may require a
public comment period based on three issues, including maintenance
dredging and clam habitat. Erosion control has been strengthened
by the addition of 442 tons of hard class rip-rap along 580 feet
of the shoreline.
FROM THE APP TIME CAPSULE: SEPTEMBER 1966
As we begin APP's 100th Anniversary year
, we'll be regularly sharing historic photos with you.
This photo of Pacific port leaders was taken on September 28, 1966 in Portland, Oregon USA (when APP was still known as PCAPA). In the front row, we believe that Portland Dock Commissioner Robert (Bob) Rickett is the second from the left and that Port of San Francisco Executive Director Ray Watts is second from the right.
Can you identify anyone else?
APP ON FACEBOOK: "LIKE US!"
APP is on Facebook! Help us network and help yourself
stay informed: Click here to like us on Facebook.
CALENDAR: UPCOMING APP EVENTS
Please save these dates and plan to attend these upcoming APP conferences and seminars:
JANUARY 17-18, 2013APP Winter ConferenceHosted by Hawaii Harbors Division
Marriott Ihilani Resort
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 17, 2013
APP Spring Fly-in Fly-out Seminar
"Building Sustainable Ports"
Seattle/Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
Seattle, WASHINGTON USA
AUGUST 4-7, 2013
APP 100th Annual Conference
Hosted by Port of Redwood City
Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
Redwood City, CALIFORNIA USA
JULY 2014APP 101st Annual ConferenceHosted by Port of LongviewLongview, WASHINGTON USA
JULY 2015APP 102nd Annual ConferenceHosted by Port of Kaohsiung, TIPC
Kaohsiung, TAIWAN ROC
APP 103rd Annual Conference
Hosted by Port of Hueneme
Port Hueneme, CALIFORNIA USA
APP EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE & STAFF
Your 2012-13 Association of Pacific Ports (APP) Officers:
- Richard "Dick" Dodge, President - Port of Redwood City, California USA
- Bob Bagaason, First Vice President - Port of Longview, Washington USA
- Tai-Hsin Lee, Second Vice President - Taiwan International Ports Corp., Taiwan ROC
- Mary Anne Rooney - Third Vice President - Port of Hueneme, California USA
- James Matayoshi, Past President - Republic of Marshall Islands Ports Authority, RMI
- John Adolph - Pohnpei Port Authority, Federated States of Micronesia
- Elizabeth Blanchard - Port of Stockton, California, USA
- Thomas Fields - Port of Long Beach, California, USA
- Kuo-Ying Huang - Port of Kaohsiung TIPC, Taiwan ROC
- Robert Larson - Port of Benton, Washington, USA
- Kim B. Puzey - Port of Umatilla, Oregon USA
- Mike Giari - Port of Redwood City, California USA
Please feel free to contact your APP staff with any questions, concerns, or requests:
Dave Hunt, Executive Director:
Lisa Pomasl, Deputy Director:
Brian Wright, Operations Manager: