|The Pacific Current ||February 6, 2013|
An all-star cast of speakers headlined APP's well-attended Winter Conference last month. Photos and PowerPoint presentations are listed below!
Scroll down for a new photo from the APP Time Capsule as we continue our 100th anniversary year.
Check out news about what's happening at individual Pacific ports, our upcoming Sustainability Seminar in Seattle in April, APP's 100th Annual Conference in California in August, and meet our newest APP member!
STRONG ATTENDANCE, SPEAKERS & NETWORKING HIGHLIGHT WINTER CONFERENCE
you to the hosts, sponsors, speakers, moderators, and delegates at last
month's APP Winter Conference. It was a great start to APP's
Kudos to our well-prepared, informative presenters:
Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie
- Weston Solutions' Mark Ambler
- ActionPointe Managing Principal Kirk Anderson
- U.S. Coast Guard Captain Meredith Austin
- Economist Dr. Paul Brewbaker
- FCS Senior Project Manager Todd Chase
- Xanatos Marine's Kris English & Cap'n Manny Aschemeyer
- Port of Stockton General Counsel Steve Herum
- Terex Port Solutions' Bob Histon
- CARDO TEC Regional Manager Jim Hunt
- Hugh Wood Managing Director Mike Johnson
- Port of Morrow Commissioners Marvin Padberg & Don Russell
- EA Engineering Program Manager Richard Price
- Schrader Co. Sales Partner Tom Spear
- Moffatt & Nichol Engineer Dr. Dilip Trivedi
- NW/Canada Cruise Assn. President Greg Wirtz
Click here to view their PowerPoint presentations.
Special thanks to our generous
Winter Conference Sponsors:
SUSTAINABILITY SEMINAR COMING TO SEATTLE
You are invited to participate in APP's Spring Fly-in Fly-out Seminar:
"Building Sustainable Ports"
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 @ 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM
Sea-Tac Int'l Airport in Seattle, Washington, USA
Click here to Register for the Spring Seminar.
How can your
port become more economically and environmentally
sustainable? Discover ways to achieve the environmental progress
that your constituents want while achieving the economic progress that your port requires. Hear
firsthand perspectives from key port leaders and industry experts,
learn what's new in sustainability at other ports, and network with
colleagues -- all in beautiful Seattle, Washington!
This seminar begins at 9:30 a.m. and concludes at 3:00 p.m. -- right in the Sea-Tac Airport Conference Center -- so you can easily fly in and out of Seattle that same day.
tuned: APP will soon issue a "sustainability snapshot" survey to all
members to help our Seminar speakers better understand how
sustainably Pacific Ports are performing, including input on issues such as:
- How do port leaders (and users) perceive sustainability as a priority?
- What are ports doing to become more sustainable?
- Where are ports facing the greatest barriers?
- What benefits are ports realizing for their sustainability efforts?
APP associate members Brightworks and Harris Group
will present the survey results at the Seminar, offering all
participants a new perspective on the industry's impacts on regional
ecosystems and global sustainability and opportunities to capture value
-- around cost savings, risk management, regulatory compliance,
and public relations -- from appropriate balanced efforts relating to
DON'T MISS THE 100TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Planning is well underway for APP's exciting 100th Annual Conference at the magnificent Hotel Sofitel San Francisco Bay, hosted by the Port of Redwood City, California USA.
You will tour four very different ports, learn from expert speakers about timely port issues and trends, watch part of the America's Cup yacht races on San Francisco Bay, dine at APP President Dick Dodge's beautiful hillside home, participate in a Dinner Gala celebrating APP's first century of partnership and service, and more!
Please save the date:
August 4-7, 2013: APP 100th Annual Conference
Hotel Sofitel San Francisco Bay
Hosted by Port of Redwood City, California USA
NEW MEMBER: WESTERN WOOD PRESERVERS
We welcome the Western Wood Preservers Institute (WWPI) as our newest APP associate member!
is a non-profit trade association representing the wood preservative
industry in western North America and providing educational, advocacy,
and marketing services for pressure-treated wood and fire
retardants. The Institute offers three programs to engineers
and designers of marinas, ports, docks, and other aquatic, wetland, or
- Best Management Practices minimize chemical movement into the environment and are third-party certified.
- Preliminary Assessment of treated wood in aquatic environments to determine if a full assessment is needed.
- Full Risk Assessment to determine specific risks, impacts, and options for using treated wood in an aquatic environment. Training seminars on utilizing this risk assessment are available from WWPI in cooperation with Oregon State University and are free to anyone interested in using treated wood.
Ted LaDoux serves as WWPI's executive director and Dallin Brooks is assistant executive director. They are based in Vancouver, Washington USA. Click here for WWPI's website.
Welcome to APP, Western Wood Preservers Institute!
AMERICAN SAMOA PORT GETS NEW LEADER
The American Samoa House of Representatives and Senate both unanimously approved Taimalelagi Dr. Claire Tuia Poumele as Director of Port Administration.
Taimalelagi, a former
Education Department director, earned a doctorate degree in
education from Brigham Young University and both master's and
bachelor's degrees from the University of Portland.
leadership abilities and management style will be an asset to the
Department of Port Administration. I am confident that she will
bring a fresh perspective, a keen eye for efficiency, superb judgment,
and the ability to effectively complete projects for the department,"
said Governor Lolo Matalasi Moliga.
Poumele succeeds Matagi Ray McMoore
(former member of the APP Executive Committee) in this position.
American Samoa's Port management team also includes Deputy Director Christopher King.
KEELUNG, TAIWAN CARGO INCREASING
|The Port of Keelung, TIPC in Taiwan (which includes the Keelung, Taipei, and Suao ports) reports that their cumulative 2012 cargo reached 126,932,477 tons, a 6.45% increase over the previous year. The number of containers handled was over 2.7 million TEUs, a 12.57% increase over 2011.
December 2012 was a particularly strong month for Keelung with total cargo tonnage of 11,021,945 tons, 3.80% higher than November and 10.33% higher than December 2011. The number of containers Keelung handled in December was over 237,000 TEUs, 4.23% higher than November and 18.34% higher than December 2011.
FROM THE APP TIME CAPSULE: 1968, SAN DIEGO
As we celebrate APP's 100th Anniversary year
, we continue to share historic photos with you.
Last month's historic photo drew an e-mail from APP Life Member Mel Shore (from Sacramento) noting that he was also pictured in that 1966 photo in Portland.
This photo was taken at the 55th Annual Conference on September 25, 1968
in San Diego, California USA (when APP was still known as PCAPA).
Left to right at the head table: Executive Vice President Henry Roloff, 2nd Vice President J. Bryce Blake (Port Alberni, BC), Mrs. Blake, President Fujio Matsuda (Hawaii), Past President Lorenz Ruehle (San Diego, CA), Mrs. Ruehle, San Diego Port Commission Chair Chris Larsen, and San Diego Port Director Don Nay.
Do you have any historic APP photos you would like to share?
APP ON FACEBOOK: "LIKE US!"
APP is on Facebook! Help us network and help yourself
stay informed: Click here to like us on Facebook.
CALENDAR: UPCOMING APP EVENTS
Please save these dates and plan to attend these upcoming APP conferences and seminars:
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 17, 2013
APP Spring Fly-in Fly-out Seminar
"Building Sustainable Ports"
Seattle/Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
Seattle, WASHINGTON USA
AUGUST 4-7, 2013
APP 100th Annual Conference
Hosted by Port of Redwood City
Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
Redwood City, CALIFORNIA USA
APP Fall Fly-in Fly-out Seminar
Portland International Airport (PDX)
Portland, OREGON USA
JANUARY 16-17, 2014
APP Winter ConferenceHosted by Hawaii Harbors Division
JULY 20-23, 2014APP 101st Annual ConferenceHosted by Port of LongviewLongview, WASHINGTON USA
APP 102nd Annual ConferenceHosted by Port of Kaohsiung, TIPC
JULY 2016APP 103rd Annual Conference
Hosted by Port of Hueneme
Port Hueneme, CALIFORNIA USA
APP EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE & STAFF
Your 2012-13 Association of Pacific Ports (APP) Officers:
- Richard "Dick" Dodge, President - Port of Redwood City, California USA
- Bob Bagaason, First Vice President - Port of Longview, Washington USA
- Tai-Hsin Lee, Second Vice President - Taiwan International Ports Corp., Taiwan
- Mary Anne Rooney - Third Vice President - Port of Hueneme, California USA
- James Matayoshi, Past President - Republic of Marshall Islands Ports Authority, RMI
- John Adolph - Pohnpei Port Authority, Federated States of Micronesia
- Elizabeth Blanchard - Port of Stockton, California, USA
- Thomas Fields - Port of Long Beach, California, USA
- Kuo-Ying Huang - Port of Kaohsiung TIPC, Taiwan
- Robert Larson - Port of Benton, Washington, USA
- Kim B. Puzey - Port of Umatilla, Oregon USA
- Mike Giari - Port of Redwood City, California USA
Please feel free to contact your APP staff with any questions, concerns, or requests:
Dave Hunt, Executive Director:
Lisa Pomasl, Deputy Director:
Brian Wright, Operations Manager: