

**University of Virginia Student Council
General Body Meeting**

Minutes for September 6, 2016

The General Body meeting was called to order at 6:34 PM

Roll Call- Roll was taken.

Brett: If you're missing a name tag, let Sarah know. Thank you for being here this week, we are excited for student concerns. I asked for thousands. We start today with a UVA Dining presentation. Welcome Nicole Jackson.

Nicole: We are excited to be here today, thanks for having us back. After today, please contact us at dining@virginia.edu. I am the marketing manager, and just started my 9th year here. I've seen 2 classes go through! Matt is the director of dining now.

Matt: I've been in this position for 2 weeks, and on grounds for 2 years.

Nicole: You know we've expanded meal exchange thanks to student feedback. Fine Arts Café has gone well, and breakfast at Einstein's at Rice Hall. We have Plus Dollars for Greens to Grounds CSA. It's very local and they've been great to work with. Burritos are back at Crossroads, the food is great and its open until 2 AM. Marco & Luca will have delivery in 2 weeks. We are also focusing on food education, with chef classes; let us know if you'd like anything else. We can do small cooking classes for student groups. There will also be a BBQ food truck at the Amphitheater.

Matt: We have done a lot of surveying of students about their dining preferences. We do well collecting but not sharing, though the surveys drive our internal decisions. We complete that process with 2 overall surveys in October and March, and get about 1500 responses every semester. We ask about food restrictions, food value, and tabulate the overall dining preference score. We are at a 5.5/7 throughout the year. I don't know why it's out of 7, but 5.5 is not high enough; we want 6.5-7 range. We know we will burn things and lose orders and mess up, but when we mess up, we want to make it right and learn from it. We are planning to release an updated rating at the end of the semester, with some cake if we get to 6. We want your feedback so look out for the "voice of consumer" cards. Let us know what you like and what you want to see more or less of. Send us suggestions! As Nicole said, come see us or email us. Grab me at Newcomb and we can talk.

As every department, we have 3 goals to work on every year; these are staff development, food quality, and student engagement. We have resources and time devoted to each of those. Over the summer, we spent over 1000 hours training the culinary staff. Over the summer, we had a week long class with kitchen production training to develop the team. We brought people from across grounds for a Taste of Dining event. Hopefully you have noticed the better food quality. We are focusing on ingredients, smaller batches, and fresh cook times. These bring longer lines, so we have to balance freshness and convenience. For Student Engagement, we are working on getting into classrooms. We have 5 projects with Global Sustainability classes, and are working on cooking education.

For renovations, next summer, we are doing a Runk renovation. It will be the newest version of On-Grounds dining. It won't lose or gain seating, but we take 30 seats that are hard and turn them into soft seats like benches and collaboration tables. We are combining dining

**University of Virginia Student Council
General Body Meeting**

Minutes for September 6, 2016

and education aspects. There will be a grill at some tables where a chef can cook in front of you. With global sustainability, we are looking at a micro garden outside of the building for ingredients to use in the dining hall. The following summer, Bonnycastle goes under renovation. The castle will become a living room, a progressive and collaborative space. It will be a place to order food through kiosks and mobile ordering, with meal exchange all the time, and big windows along 60% of the walls.

Nicole: We have a handout with the complete exec chef team and their contact info. There is info about them and their interests.

Eric: I got an email from a student who wanted to know if dining could provide hazel nut spread. I know Nutella might be difficult, but is there another option?

Matt: We feature it in a few recipes.

Eric: Like at the peanut butter station.

Nicole: We have students asking us to take the peanut butter away. We are trying to balance those needs, Matt will look into it.

Josh: The fresh cut fruit was there every day last year, and now it seems less frequent. I was wondering if you purposely cut back on that?

Matt: We were rotating between lunch and dinner, because people still want dessert. There is a shifting schedule for it based on the day of the week.

Josh: Could you put that on a sign?

Matt: Yes. Glad you like it, we were scared to take dessert away. Nobody saw the fruit when it was at the salad bar.

Josh: Besides the Fine Arts meal exchange, that was my favorite new thing.

Emily: Why are the Chinese delivery costs 6-10 so expensive?

Nicole: They price their own menu, we can't change that. We provide options, and can't guarantee it's all economical. Virginia Commonwealth Law says you can't use plus dollars for delivery or tips. We want to provide options to get food, but we can't help with pricing.

Luke: I've heard first years say that now that the year is underway, food quality will decline.

Matt: How do we jump in and stop that rumor from perpetuating? This summer I challenged students as they came in that the food would be the same across time. If you like our recipes, we will do them again. How do we prove that? Through everyday execution. We have to constantly reinvent ourselves and do things differently because options get old.

Nicole: You can beat that by encouraging first years to attend special events like Watermelon Wednesday, or the picnic at Runk. We're working to get those events, but that is a challenge. How can we change it up to keep it interesting?

**University of Virginia Student Council
General Body Meeting**

Minutes for September 6, 2016

Bryan: Thanks for coming in, looking forward to improvements. Have you looked into making more upperclassmen friendly meal plans? My sister said earlier there were more options like 10 meals a week, but not anymore. I haven't bought one because its buy everything or nothing.

Matt: Our smallest block is now 50, which is 3 meals a week. What would work better?

Emily: I like 25.

Brett: We will do internal polling.

Matt: We talk about it a lot, we want to drive value and usage.

Jocelyn: Thanks for coming, I love the initiatives. I'd like to reiterate the food quality concern. Quality is a concern especially for upperclassmen, there's a lot of turnover between years. The cost of a meal at the dining hall is about \$10 dollars, I could spend that at Roots on a meal. I would love to have a meal plan for the convenience, but am unsure about the food.

Nicole: Have you been to a dining hall recently?

Jocelyn: Once at O'hill.

Nicole: We will think of ways to get people into the dining halls to give immediate feedback. We may put together an RA culinary committee.

Alex: Someone on Speak Up UVA asked about meal exchange for Chick Fil A nuggets. Both cost \$5.95.

Matt: That is logistical. Chick Fila has 3 fryers, and one can only do spicy stuff. The other 2 are for regular food. From the volume we do, you can only do 24 sandwiches at a time per fryer every 6 minutes. That can't keep up with doing sandwiches and nuggets in both fryers. We tried but couldn't feasibly do both.

Luke: Recently, I asked for a meal swipe, and they offered the nugget with fries as well. Maybe make sure everyone's on the same page. It was at 6:15 PM.

Brett: In the development projects, what opportunity is there for student input?

Matt: For Runk, we had 3-4 Hereford students as part of the planning process. We submit drawing in October and will do another presentation after. The housing folks got input from residents for the Castle. We haven't settled on menus for either place, which is where we want your input. Runk dining surveys will happen next spring and the Castle the spring after that.

Community Concerns

Brett: Today they tested the alert system. I could hear the alarm because I was walking, but I couldn't tell what they were saying. The text didn't come for another 5 minutes.

Madalyn: We will contact the Office of Emergency preparedness.

**University of Virginia Student Council
General Body Meeting**

Minutes for September 6, 2016

Joanna: When we have speakers, please close your computers and pay attention.

Brett: Jess has talked with Becca White at Parking and Transportation. Late night buses don't show up on Transloc. Safety and Wellness can look at that.

Jocelyn: Someone in Gooch Dillard asked for a water fountain in each suite. They want a way to get water more easily. For the CIO lockers, getting a key pad might be a good idea. It's kind of sketchy there. I got an email from a kid that wants to do a public art project with refurbished pianos in public places, we are going to try to sponsor him.

Brett: The water fountain one also applies to CDF. They'd like cold water to drink that is closer than Gibbons.

Emily: Maybe they could get a spout? Might be Buildings & Grounds.

Daniel: They're in the middle of renovating so that might be part of it.

Maeve: Lounges have bottle fillers and fountains. For anyone that comes to a rep or RA with such concerns, connect them with HRL. That is the most productive avenue with their student committees. If you have emails, send them to me and I will put them in touch.

Erich: The law school has been fundraising to raise money for flooding in Louisiana last month. I wanted to bring that to your attention. If you want to participate or spread the word, go to gofundme.com/wahoosforthebayous.

Charles: I can send the link to one of you, and you can disseminate it.

Brett: One more, the bathroom cleaning in Ruffner is always during a class switch, which is very inconvenient.

Megan: I can look at that.

Luke: Looking at Speak Up UVA, I think we should comment back to make people feel valued. They help us do our job.

Emily: We do address the concerns, but we can encourage them to continue by replying.

Katie: People are asking about microwaves in the nursing school. I talked to the Dean and she shot it down because microwaves catch on fire and people leave them messy. People are worried about clean up. If you have ideas, let me know.

Emily: There is one in the POD, and one in the PAC.

Katie: We need more, and to take care of them.

Emily: We can make a microwave map.

Daniel: We can do it. I think it is building-by-building. People in the A-school accept that they have to clean it. There are no strict rules.

**University of Virginia Student Council
General Body Meeting**

Minutes for September 6, 2016

Sarah: We can also include that in our upcoming dining survey.

Alex Ci: An interesting one was towels at AFC. They want free towel service for students that use the pool. Carrying wet towels is not fun either. Or a \$5 towel membership per semester.

Julia: We can look at that.

Alex Ci: As far as meeting reservations, it's difficult to do it on grounds. I imagine that's outside the first two weeks of the school year.

Bryanna: MLI worked on it at the summer, and suggested a solution. I suggest UVA BookIt and informal spaces.

Annie: EMS is better. With the Source, it's hard to book spaces now, but as time goes on, it should get easier.

Brett: Also the Source is linked to the registrar, and we had a lot of mishaps.

Luke: When in doubt, a phone number is the best way to reserve a space.

Sarah: It might be a cool idea to make a non-competitive spaces list. People don't know where to look outside those spaces. Should we poll students?

Austin: I ride my bike and used different two bike pumps, which deflated my tires. I saw another guy say the same, but an expert did it successfully. Could we fix it or post a disclaimer? I think the pump is different than most, and is made for heavy usage. In my experience, no one likes it because it's difficult.

Emily: What if there was a tutorial?

Daniel: There's a group that does bike workshops. We can find them on Facebook and talk to them.

Courtney: Could we just post instructions?

Bryanna: There are traditional bike pumps that you can check out in libraries

Austin: Anything of those would be helpful.

Alex Ci: Someone posted about access to past class resources. This person wants to know why that can't happen. They mention copyright.

Courtney: Isn't that up to professor discretion?

Grace: It's a honor violation for some.

Alex Ci: The student mentions the duality of the honor code, and that we should be trusted.

Brett: Maybe Academic Affairs could look into that, and we can loop it into Honor.

**University of Virginia Student Council
General Body Meeting**

Minutes for September 6, 2016

Jocelyn: Who can I contact about the keypad lock?

MacKenzie: Talk to the SAC or Dirron.

Daniel: I can investigate the bike issue.

Officer Reports

Maeve: My reports were in the newsletter.

Alex Cu: I'm working on the budget, ask me questions on Slack. I am looking to involve internal affairs more.

Courtney: I am working on recruitment, and going to ask SR's, IFC, ISC, and multicultural organizations to distribute info. Applications are due Sept 13. On the applications, they have to list committee preferences which should help us make decisions. I will be stepping down after this meeting. I just came back from being abroad, and need to take time for myself. I love you guys a lot, thanks for the hard work. Let me know if you have questions.

MacKenzie: The new CIO app opened yesterday and will stay open until April.

Sarah: On Monday the 12th, we have dinner in Garden I with heavy appetizers. My other update is your thoughts on the newsletter. This is the second week we sent it out, let me know your opinions on frequency and comprehensiveness.

Alex Ci: I really like it.

Luke: I didn't read the newsletter, I apologize. I think it would be interesting to assess meeting length after these changes.

Bryanna: Not sure if everyone has Slack access. I read the channel and not the newsletter and get the same information.

Sarah: The advantage of sending it out is that it goes to more people.

Grace: I've been harassing you on slack, I still need committee reps for the membership committee. A couple committees really need to get me people ASAP, our first meeting is Sunday. The retreat is the 25th, and old Student Council members don't need to go.

Courtney: Outreach functions like you do, so they probably won't send people over because they're already on 2 committees.

Emily: Austin made Hoos Hub 2.0, with 200 CIOs and their dues and meeting times. The application to be on university wide committees is due Thursday. There's a group of 10 students needed, and taking such positions would be a good information bridge. I encourage you all to apply. There will be a 9/11 ceremony next Sunday at Minor Hall at 7:30.

Brett: The rep body met Sunday afternoon, which was really successful and we planned new initiatives going forward. Our new offices hours are next Monday-Friday across grounds, we will

**University of Virginia Student Council
General Body Meeting**

Minutes for September 6, 2016

have signs and banners with at least 1 rep to poll students and share information about StudCo. As we develop that, I will share the schedule, we want committee members there too.

Emily: The Presidential Senate meeting is Sept 25 at 8. There will be 2 presentation topics to be finalized this week. If you want to run a project past 100 student leaders, go for it.

Brett: Next week at office hours, we are starting with the strategic investment fund. We want to poll the response from the administration on student involvement. Reps please stay 3 minutes more.

The General Body meeting ended at 7:33 PM

The chair of the Rules and Ethics Board, Andrew Lee, was sworn in.

The chair of the Rules and Ethics Board swore in the new members.